- 1775 American Indian Area (Ute and Plains Indian cultures): Construct an authentic tipi, exhibit pelts of fur, beadwork, and explain the lifestyle of the native people.
- 1860s Homestead: The 1862 Homestead and Pacific Railway Act was the foundation of Westward development. Experience the environment of an early homesteader,
- 1880s Rock Ledge House and Farm: when the railroad came to the Pikes Peak Region comforts and technology followed. It was a challenge to make a living in the semi-arid landscape, but the Chambers’ family was successful farmers and boarding hosts to tuberculosis patients during Westward expansion.
- 19th Century Blacksmith Shop: A representation of tradecraft that was available in Old Colorado City during the growth of the Pikes Peak population. Some of the Smith’s hand-forged items are available for sale in the General Store.
- 1907 Orchard House: an elegant country estate built by General William J. Palmer for William and Charlotte Schlater, his sister-in-law and her husband. Docents interpret turn of the century lifestyles.
All volunteers must be registered before they may begin helping out at the Ranch. Below is an embedded frame of the form from the City of Colorado Springs’ General Volunteer Opportunities page. Search through the list of volunteer opportunities. For ages 18 and older, Select ‘Rock Ledge Ranch Adult Docent/Volunteer‘. If your age is 17 or under click on ‘Junior Docent at Rock Ledge Ranch‘. It is important that you read the complete volunteer job description carefully! If you wish to continue after reading the job description, click on the button that says ‘Not Registered? Submit a Service Project Application‘. Enter your email address and first name and then click ‘Check for Account‘. Fill out the form and click on the bar at the end that says ‘Add Volunteer Information to Profile‘. Thanks for your support!
If the above frame doesn’t work, you should be able to reach the forms by following these instructions:
- Go to: springsgov.com/parksvolunteer
- Click on ‘General Volunteer Opportunities‘
- Search through the list of volunteer opportunities:
- If your age is 18 or over click on ‘Rock Ledge Ranch Adult Docent/Volunteer‘
- If your age is 17 or under click on ‘Junior Docent at Rock Ledge Ranch‘
- Please read the volunteer job description carefully!
- Click on the button that says ‘Not Registered? Submit a Service Project Application‘
- Enter your email address and first name and then click ‘Check for Account‘
- Fill out the form and click on the bar at the end that says ‘Add Volunteer Information to Profile‘
If you need help or have questions about the application please contact us at 719-578-6777.
Thanks for your support!