Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site Photography Policy
Permits are valid for same-day registration. (Pre-purchase permits are currently unavailable.)
Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site is a protected historical site on the National Register of Historic Places. Our mission is to preserve, protect, and maintain the natural historic integrity of this location, and to educate the community with the Living History Programs. Use of the site for portrait or professional photography requires a permit. This nonrefundable permit is $50 per photographer, per day. There are a limited number of permits per day.
For the purposes of this policy, “photography” applies to digital, film, and video cameras.
Recreational photography: Informal photos taken for personal use and enjoyment. This does not include portraits.
Portrait photography: Photographer may or may not be compensated for their work and photography may include but is not limited to: senior portraits, family portraits, team portraits, birthday or holiday portraits, prom, engagement, and wedding photos.
Professional photography: Photographer is compensated for their work or charges for their services or final product. Photography may include, but is not limited to: landscape, still life, senior portraits, family portraits, team portraits, birthday or holiday portraits, prom photos, engagement, and wedding photos.
The following rules apply to all photography at the Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site:
Permit requests during the Living History Program summer sessions Wednesday through Sunday 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m., and special events throughout the year will NOT be approved. As a photographer, it is your responsibility to verify program or events prior to your arrival. Call 719-578-6777 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org at least a week in advance to confirm programming.
- Do not drive into the site.
- Photography is allowed in exterior spaces only.
- Photographers and their clients must not impede the flow of visitors along pathways, boardwalks, or the entrances and exits of buildings.
- Photographers and their clients are not allowed to attach anything to any structure on the site. (signs, banners, decorations, etc.)
- Photographers and their clients are not allowed to use confetti of any kind.
- Photographers and their clients should not walk in garden beds, move potted plants, or otherwise damage vegetation by picking or cutting flowers, leaves, or vegetables.
- Photographers and their clients are prohibited from climbing, sitting, standing, or walking on trees, walls, fences, farm equipment, or other structures.
- Photographers and their clients may not move or reposition benches, chairs, wagons, or any other farm equipment.
- Photographers and their clients are not allowed to enter livestock enclosures or disturb the livestock in any way; this includes but is not limited to feeding, petting, using loud noises or other attention-getting devices.
- Clients/models must be fully and appropriately clothed. No nudity, swimsuits, lingerie, etc.
- Clients/models need to arrive camera-ready. Restrooms are not to be used as dressing rooms and there are no storage spaces available.
Causes of Permit Termination:
All photography permits issued for use of Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site for portrait and professional photography are revocable WITHOUT NOTICE if the terms of the permit are violated. Deliberate infractions of the terms or deliberate false or misleading statements concerning the intent to obtain a permit are causes for immediate termination. Permits will be revoked if park resources, implements, or facilities are threatened, or if there is a clear danger to public health or safety.
Photographer shall be responsible for and does hereby relieve, release, and indemnify the City of Colorado Springs and the Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site, including its staff, volunteers, board members, and guests, for all costs, damages, liabilities and expenses (including attorney fees) by reason of any injury or damage to any person or property upon the premises occupied and used by the Photographer where such injury or damage was caused by or as a result of the acts or failure to act of the Photographer, agents, workers or employees. The City of Colorado Springs and the Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site shall not be liable or responsible to the Photographer, the Photographer’s clients or to anyone else by reason of theft, disappearance, or damage sustained by the Photographer or others in connection with the use or storage of items at the Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site. Signing the Photographer Policy Waiver does not stipulate exclusive use of the Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site. Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site reserves the right to refuse admittance for photography and/or change its Photography Policy without advance notice.